Barley contributions to beer flavor: The Flavor 7-pack
This project is rigorously testing the hypothesis that barley has positive beer flavor attributes. IF there are novel flavors in barley that carry through malting and brewing and into beer, these flavors could provide new opportunities for brewers and expanded horizons for consumers. The first set of germplasm that we tested traced to the World Core. Subsequently, we've fast-forwarded to more current germplasm - the current focus is on the "Oregon Promise" population - a set of doubled haploids derived from the cross of Golden Promise x Full Pint. No worries, though, we are also working our way back to the World Core.
To test this hypothesis we are using a range of germplasm, small scale malts, small scale brews, sensory assessment, and analytical tools.
Current participants - and funders - are Bells, Deschutes, Firestone-Walker, New Glarus, Russian River, Sierra Nevada, and Summit. Rahr Malting is a key partner in providing in-kind contributions of micro-malting, nano-brewing, sensory assessment, beer analytics and hosting Dustin Herb as an intern. Mecca Grade estate malt is another key partner, providing us with an optimum location for growing Oregon Promise test plots.
In 2017, the Brewers Association joined the "Funders of Flavor".
You can follow the progress of this project in these reports.
- February 2017 Timeline
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- March & April 2016 Flavor Report
- February 2016 Flavor Report
- January 2016 Flavor Report
- Holiday Flavor: Special Report
- November 2015 Flavor Report
- Oktoberfest 2015 Flavor Report
- Septemberfest 2015 Flavor Report
- August 2015 Flavor Report
- Summer Flavor: Special Report
- July 2015 Flavor Report
- May 2015 Flavor Report
- March 2015 Flavor Report
- January 2015 Flavor Report
- New Year - 2015 Flavor Report
- Holidays 2014 Flavor Report
- Oktoberfest 2014 Flavor Report
- SeptoberFest 2014 Flavor Report
- August 2014 Flavor report
- July 2014 Flavor Report
- Information from the vaults - relating the original assessment of accessions from the World Core
- Report 2 docx
- Report 1 pdf
- Histogram of Selections, overlayed with malt and wort analyses from Rahr Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
- PCA of Selections, overlayed with malt and wort analyses from Rahr Page 1 Page 2 Page 3
- Malt Analyses from Rahr xls
- Spreadsheet 3-5-2013 xls -World Core and Proposed Selections.
- PCA of Selections sent to Rahr pdf
- 10-22-12 Conference Call Minutes pdf
- PCA graphs using accessions >200g, >250g, and >300g pdf
- Spreadsheet 10-2-12 xlsx - proposed selections for malting, brewing, and sensory assessment, 709 accessions harvested and the NSGC World Core
- Poster presented at NAPB pdf