Measurable student learning outcomes
1. Describe the major concepts in plant genetics: sources of genetic variation, mechanisms of
reproduction, transmission of genetic information, and alternative genome organizations.
2. Identify causal DNA, RNA, and protein polymorphisms that lead to phenotypic variation.
3. Calculate probabilities of inheritance of specific alleles and allele combinations given raw
4. Identify the mechanisms that lead to sexual differentiation in plants and the consequences
that these mechanisms have on population structure, genetic diversity, and strategies for
5. Choose appropriate molecular breeding strategies for meeting specific breeding and genetics
6. Diagnose inheritance patterns and the underlying genetic mechanisms.
7. Interpret structural and regulatory differences and use this information to choose appropriate
molecular breeding technologies.
8. Organize information from more than one viewpoint on controversial issues relating to nonsexual
gene transfer and gene flow.